March 13, 2011

I love my hijab :)

Assalamu 'alaykum


Yesterday, as I was going through my old stuff online, I came across this poem I wrote a while ago (Yayy! My first post!). 

Warning: I am NOT a poet. This is like the only  "okay poem" I've written in my life, after hundreds of epic failures in middle school. Sigh..

So here you go:
I love my hijab :)

They think I don't speak the language,
Or I'm forcibly engaged.
And every time I start talking, they all look at me amazed.
Yes I do have my own voice,
What's with the gaze?


And every time they pass by,
They're scared to say "hi".
They think I'm crazy or maybe dangerous.
But isn't that all just a lie?


You know, sometimes I get sick of it,
When people don't realize,
This world is just a dream,
Gosh, would you open your eyes?


Some of 'em think I'm scared, or insecure,
Because chastity in this world just doesn't mean you're pure.
No, I'm not gonna walk around half nude,
But why do they care so much,
Those boys,
Aren't they just some dudes?


I know what they call me,
They like to label me "oppressed".
What's with the pity, people?
You see, I'm just all dressed.


And what about those high heels they promote,
They hurt my feet, I'm not wearing 'em,
Hell no.
I know what they do as soon as they wake up,
Pick out their fancy clothes,
And wear ten pounds of make up.
So this is what women call emancipation,
How dare they alter God's own creation?


I believe in modesty and the higher being.
Cuz I've realized, the world isn't just what you're seeing.
I know it's hard to hear people talkin' about you,
Walkin' past the stares,
Everyday for something that's better, but Who?


And with every stare,
I tend to remember Allah,
I love my hijab,
Thank you Allah.

11/4/10

Annnnnd that would be it. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful poem!! I'm going to post on my blog soon. I'll put the link to your blog soon as well.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwh thank you! JazakAllahu khayr sis!

    Much appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem really inspired me. Actually your whole blog does. I use to wear a hijab. But unfortunatly the dunya got in the way. I wanna go back to wearing. Pray for me Inshallah. And keep this going, its really great :)) May Allah reward you with the best of rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assalamu 'alaykum. :)

    Awwh sis jazak'Allahu khayr, you've realized what's important and that's what matters, masha'Allah. I used to wear the hijab the wrong way you know.. Skinny Jeans and short shirts that totally contradict the purpose of hijab. Alhamdulillah I've come to realize my mistakes and I've started wearing the hijab properly just recently.

    I'm so glad I could help really. I will insha'Allah make dua for you sis! May Allah reward you too. :)

    ReplyDelete