March 16, 2011

You take a shower in that? (Hijab)


 No, I do not and have never taken a shower in "this". It's called a hijab by the way, and Muslim women wear it because they value modesty. 


 Throughout history, levels of modesty have differed. Let's go back 200 years. It was not okay to see a woman walk around in a short skirt, was it? No. Western women had a higher level of modesty even decades ago. Oh, wait. Maybe they were just oppressed? Hmm..
But what about now? It's totally okay for a woman to walk around in a bikini, let alone walk in just her "G-String". Maybe, just maybe, it might be okay to walk around nude in a couple of years...


Going back to my point, are women who cover up (especially Muslim women) oppressed? Do they really have "crazy, fanatic, oppressive, control freak-fathers" behind their backs? Pfft, I think not. The word's "freedom" and "oppression" have lost their meanings these days. Instead of meaning freedom from tyranny and forced authority, the word freedom has now become: The right to do whatever you want.

Double standards, eh?

This brings us to a bunch of modern feminists burning bras and everything. Apparently, the only way a woman could be valued is by being the "same" as men. But women and men are not the same. Yes, we are equal, but we're not the same. Women naturally have the tendency to take care of their children all the time (You know, that maternal instinct!) while men naturally have a tendency to be responsible and provide for the family in a traditional household. It's almost always been that way. However these days, it's almost "degrading" for a woman to stay home and look after her kids letting the father be the provider of the household. Many women want to "wear the pants" in the family. But since when did it become so degrading for a woman to be a stay-at-home-mom? Why is the Muslim woman apparently oppressed for choosing to take care of her children and stay home? What is this need that women feel to be the "same" as men? I mean, it's perfectly fine for a woman to work and have a great career in life (Gotta love those businesswomen, intellectuals, teachers, writers, doctors, activists, etc, out there!), don't get me wrong. But, does she really have to be the same as a man in order to be valued? Does she really have to do all that just to be looked at as an individual who's not oppressed? Sadly yes, this, is the man-made system.


Yes. This is what most "feminists" want. - They want to be the same as men. They expect men to lower their gazes when they walk around half nude. Because the less you wear, the freer you are. And the more you cover up, the more you're oppressed. But have you ever seen a picture of Virgin Mary in a swimsuit? I don't think she was oppressed.. This reminds me of what a Dutch scholar said: 

"The biggest injustice that is done to you is when the truth is twisted and you are made to think that chastity and piousness are signs of backwardness and oppression, while immorality and abject practices and the wickedness are presented as signs of progressiveness and enlightenment. This is how it goes these days."


So we see that the majority of women have been brainwashed.- With the help of media of course. Man-made fashion industries telling little girls how to look, because somebody said being a toothpick was "sexy". The skirts are getting shorter and those skinny jeans have been getting skinnier than ever! But, WHO really determines what's "sexy" and not? Man-dominated fashion industries. And many women, being the true victims of oppression without even realizing it, point fingers at us (Muslim women) when it comes to oppression. Not to mention the 100s of songs out there about "Shawty" (whoever she is, ya know). Men objectifying women in every other verse, degrading them, and insulting them. But I guess it's "better" than being a Muslim woman who has to protect her body and only shares her precious self with her husband? Let's get to the point.


I am a Muslim woman, and people label me oppressed. What's with the pity, people? You see, I'm just all dressed. (Haha, that rhymed!) I do not feel the need to be the same as men just so I would be valued. I am an individual. Yes I do cover my whole body up, head to toe, except my face and hands. I rock my Muslim attire and I love my hijab. I do not feel the need to expose my body just so I could feel good about myself or beautiful, because that would be insecurity.  

“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)

I do not have to worry about pervy/creepy men "checking me out". I do not have to worry about break-ups and boyfriends. I do not have to worry about wearing ten pounds of make up to go to school. I do not have to worry about walking miles in high heels because that's what's "hot". People judge me for my qualities: Intelligence, Kindness, Passion, Modesty etc.. because I leave no room for "That miniskirt accentuates your butt!". Yes. I force people to judge me for WHO I am, and not WHAT I am. -Because what I am, has already been decided, and God did a perfect job. I am not going to alter God's own creation, and call it emancipation. And by the way, I'm not the one who's asking for women's rights, because I already have my rights. I've got all a woman wants. - To be liberated, Alhamdulillah!

O children of Adam, We have bestowed upon you clothing to conceal your private parts and as adornment. But the clothing of righteousness - that is best. That is from the signs of Allah that perhaps they will remember.(Qur'an 7:26)
I choose not to live anymore under the conceptions of the people and prepositions that are forced upon me, by mortals like you and I.

And just remember: Real men look where perverts look the least at - The Heart.



6 comments:

  1. OMG! Akeela!
    It's awesomeee ♥♥
    Great job lovely ♥♥♥
    I'm soo proud of you :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwh thanks Shehnaz! :) You actually read it all, haha. :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent sis. Masha'Allah, may Allah reward your efforts :)

    ReplyDelete